Ex-soldiers on Wednesday protested at the Federal Ministry of Defence in Abuja over the non-implementation of pension adjustments and the alleged delay in applying approved salary-related benefits to retired military personnel.

The retirees arrived at the Defence Ministry to demand action from the Federal Government.

Their demonstration, however, was met by armed soldiers who reportedly blocked them from gaining access to the ministry premises.

One of the protesters said President Bola Tinubu approved a salary increase for military and paramilitary personnel in November last year, but complained that the corresponding adjustment had not been implemented.

“Since November last year, the President approved a salary increase for the military and paramilitary personnel, and it has been in the news everywhere.

“The military high command has continued to thank the President at every given opportunity, but this is August 2026 and they are yet to implement it.

“It’s as if it is a scam. This is Nigeria. We served for 35 years. The system is wrong,” he said.

The retirees were demanding that the authorities address what they described as an unacceptable delay.

Their complaint was coming at a time when the Federal Government has announced a fresh increase in military salaries.

The Presidency announced on August 4 that President Tinubu had approved a salary increase ranging from 30 per cent to 80 per cent for personnel of the Armed Forces. The new structure is expected to take effect from September 1, 2026.

See also  PDP govs warn against presidential interference in Edo, Ondo guber polls

Under the arrangement, personnel from the rank of private to staff sergeant are to receive an 80 per cent increase.

Warrant officers up to colonels are to receive 50 per cent, while brigadier-generals and generals are to receive a 30 per cent increase.

The package is expected to affect about 250,000 military personnel and raise the annual military wage bill from N660 billion to N924 billion.

In a related development, Retired soldiers had earlier threatened to stage a protest over the delayed implementation of an approved salary review for military personnel.

On July 2026,  veterans of the Nigerian Armed Forces demanded the immediate implementation of the approved N250,000 minimum wage for military personnel.

The demand followed a meeting involving more than 70 retired military officers at the Armed Forces Headquarters Command Mess 1 in Abuja.

The retirees said the salary issue had gone beyond a routine administrative delay. They maintained that the review had already passed through the necessary legislative process and received presidential assent.

The veterans also complained that assurances given by military authorities had not translated into implementation.

Retired Colonel Innocent

Post Disclaimer

THE STATESMAN NEWSPAPER make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the stories hereon as the statements are purely of the news makers.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from THE STATESMAN NEWSPAPER.

Contact:

Statesman_2004@yahoo.com

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here